Creating the Extraordinary Student Experience

Student FAQs

What if I can't wait to talk to someone?

If you are experiencing a crisis or have an urgent need, please call our office at 614-292-5766 to speak with a therapist.  We see students by scheduled appointments and are currently unable to provide walk in services.  In the event of an emergency or need to speak with a clinician immediately, please visit your nearest emergency department or Netcare Access ( After-hours, Counseling and Consultation Service provides crisis consultation for students by calling 614-292-5766 and choosing option 2 which includes weekends and holidays. You also have the option to schedule an appointment to speak with a therapist at

I graduated. Can I still be seen?

You are eligible for two sessions after graduation. There is a $15.00 co-pay for each session. If you purchase off-term Comprehensive Student Health Insurance, you can still be seen at CCS with a $15 co-pay if you meet other eligibility criteria and are appropriate for this level of care.

I am required to get alcohol counseling. Can you help me?

We do provide "mandatory assessments" for students referred for drug or alcohol counseling by the Department of Athletics or student conduct. Three sessions are required to complete the assessment at a cost of $100.00 per session ($300.00 total). You have the option of paying as you go or paying for the entire assessment up front. See our self-help section on alcoholism for more details on the assessment process. We do not conduct court-ordered assessments.

I need proof of my situation in order to get my grades dismissed. Can you help me?

We generally do not provide documentation if you have not used our services prior to your request. If you are having emotional difficulties that are affecting your academic life, we are here to help. You will need to speak with one of our counselors regarding your request for documentation.

I am thinking about withdrawing for the semester. Can you help me?

If you are trying to figure out whether or not to withdraw for the semester, it is a good idea to contact Student Advocacy. They are best equipped to help you determine your academic options and can advocate for you with your professors:

What if I want to change my counselor?

We understand that sometimes you just don't "click" with someone. Having a good connection with your counselor is essential to your experience at CCS. If you don't feel as though you have that connection, simply ask the reception desk for a "Reassignment Request Form." We will assign you to a new counselor. Please note that this may take up to two weeks.

How do I participate in groups? How much does it cost?

There is no cost to participate in group therapy. Most groups do require that you are currently assigned to an individual counselor. If you are interested in a group, speak with your current counselor. If you are interested in one of our groups and do not currently see a counselor, please schedule a phone screening online at

I am at a regional campus. Can I still receive services?

Yes. There is no differentiation between regional and main campus students.

I am the spouse/partner of a student. Am I eligible for services at CCS?

If your spouse/partner has CSHI and you are listed as a dependent, you are eligible for services at CCS. You are not eligible for the 10 free sessions. You will have a co-pay of $15.00 per session.

Do you see couples or families at CCS?

Couples counseling is provided at CCS. If you and your partner are both students, you have the option of only being seen as a couple, or being seen as a couple and also seeing individual counselors. Your couple's counselor will not be the same person you see for individual counseling. Each couples session is counted toward both students 10 session limit.

If only one person is a student, the sessions will be counted toward the 10 session limit. We do not see partners on an individual basis if that person is not a student and does not have CSHI.

The Ohio State University has a Couple and Family Therapy Clinic located at Bevis Hall. You may contact this office at (614) 292-3671 for more information. They generally offer evening appointments.