Consultation & Assessment Team
Consultation & Assessment Team is an informal consultation team that reports to the VP for Student Affairs. Permanent members include Assistant Vice President Student Life (chair), Director of Counseling and Consultation Service, OSU Police designee, Director of Student Advocacy, Director of Student Conduct, ADA Coordinator's Office designee, and Office of Legal Affairs designee as legal counsel to CAT.
Consultation meetings are held at the request of OSU faculty, staff, or students who are concerned about the behavior of a student that is potentially dangerous to others or is extremely disruptive. Often the behavior is perceived to have a mental illness root. Meetings consist of the four core members, legal counsel, and faculty, staff, and/or students impacted by the behavior.
- Assess situations involving students who pose a potential risk of harm to persons or property in the university community or of substantial disruption of university activities.
- Consult with faculty, staff, and students involved in or impacted by the student's behavior.
- Coordinate the university response to violent, threatening, or significantly disruptive students.
- Student Life make recommendations to the Vice President for Student Affairs on an appropriate course of action with regard to a student who poses a potential risk of harm consistent with university rules and policies.
The team will develop and recommend a coordinated plan of action to manage the situation that accounts for community safety, individual student rights, and the preservation of the campus learning, living, and working environment. CAT considerations include assessment of the potential for violence, strategies to contain disruption, resource availability and referral for the perceived core problem, accommodation that may be required by law, and setting appropriate behavioral boundaries within existing policies and procedures.
If appropriate and as deemed necessary, the team may recommend enactment of one of the following Faculty Rules:
- 3335-23-20 Interim Suspension
- 3335-23-21 Administrative Disenrollment
- 3335-9-08 Enrollment Denial for Medical Reasons
- 3335-23-01 Code of Student Conduct (Charges and hearing on prohibited conduct)
- 3335-8-33 Disenrollment from a Course
Doug Koyle, chair, 247-8350
Assistant Vice President
The Ohio State University, Office of Student Life
Javuane Adams-Gaston, Ph.D., Vice President