R. Ryan Patel, D.O., FAPA
- Title: Psychiatrist
- Phone: 614-292-5766
I take a holistic approach to patient care and personalize my treatment to the individual’s needs using a combination of healthy lifestyle strategies to improve mental health, counseling, and medications as appropriate.
I use measurement based practice methods, and evidence based treatments. I am comfortable managing complex medication and psychological needs.
Because of my flexible, personalized and thorough approach, students find me easy to talk to and work with.
I strive to help students achieve their fullest potential and help set a path for continuous self-improvement.
I adjust my supervision appropriate to the trainee's level of training and areas of growth. I believe that trust, compassion, while challenging oneself are important elements to improve knowledge and practice.
My clinical interests include learning and advancing treatments of anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, addictions, and wellness strategies for emotional health.
I am an Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor of Psychiatry in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center.
I am passionate about helping others on a large scale for this reason I am involved in the following activities:
- I write the monthly blog for with strategies to improve emotional health called: u.osu.edu/emotionalfitness.
- I run the workshop series on Food Exercise and Sleep strategies for mental health.
- I am the chair of our department’s research committee and I am involved in research to advance college mental health, teaching trainees and professionals.
- I am a speaker at regional and national level on a variety of mental health topics; including at the American College Health Association.
Groups and Liaison Roles:
- OSU Alcohol and Other Drug policy committee
- OSU-CCS Eating Disorder Treatment Team
- American Psychiatric Association
- Ohio Psychiatric Physicians Association
- American College Health Association-mental health executive committee.
Originally from Oklahoma and a lifelong Oklahoma Sooner, I graduated from The University of Oklahoma with a degree in Zoology/Behavioral Neuroscience and attended medical school at Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences.
I completed my psychiatry training at The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, where I also served as a chief resident in psychiatry, and was awarded intern of the year; and received a certificate of recognition for service to the Cleveland Clinic Housestaff Association.
Prior to my position at OSU, I served as a psychiatry section chief for Advocate Bromenn Medical Center, and have experience in both office based and hospital based psychiatry.
My personal interests include being a good parent, spouse, and a friend to others. I aim to better myself continuously.
I enjoy an active lifestyle including weight lifting, running, competitive racing, and golf. I enjoy long term investing, college football, especially the Buckeyes and Oklahoma Sooners!
I strive to be a positive model of health for myself and others.