Office of Student Life

Counseling and Consultation Service


Our FAQ provides you with most of the frequently asked questions, if you have any more questions or concerns please contact us and we will be happy to assist you.

How does a provider become listed on the Community Provider Database?

The provider must request to be listed on our database, their application approved by CCS and have a valid Ohio State license allowing them to practice.

Are the providers in the CPD “approved” or “endorsed” by The Ohio State University?

No, this database is provided as a free resource for students, faculty or staff to use to streamline the process of being linked with mental health services that meet their needs.

Do I need a referral for therapy?

Some insurance companies require pre- approval, or a referral from your primary care doctor. Please check with your insurance company to make sure you get what you need.

How do I know if my insurance coverage will cover therapy?

Check the back and front of your insurance card for a member services number listed. Sometimes there is a different number for Mental Health, Behavioral Health, or Substance Abuse Services. Calling either number should connect you with someone who can check to see if your insurance covers therapy, if you have a co-pay, if there is a session limit, and if a referral is needed for these services.

What are some things that I can ask when calling a provider to check if they are a good fit?
  • What days and times are you currently available?
  • Where is your office located? Are you on the COTA bus-line (which bus)?
  • Could you describe your helping approach?
  • What are your fees? (Some providers do not accept insurance and are all self pay.)
    • Do you have any student discount fees?
    • Do you have a sliding fee scale?
  • Do I have to pay "up front" for services?
    • Will you accept my insurance coverage?
    • Will you directly bill my insurance company?
    • Do you have a payment plan?
  • What are your limitations on length of treatment?
  • Do you have a waitlist at this time?

We encourage you to ask these types of questions, and any other questions regarding issues that are important to you.  You may also want to request any preferences you may have (as to whom you would like to work with, e.g., gender, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, etc.) at this time as well.

Where can I find a list of local AA, NA and other meetings?

Quick Guide to Degree and Licensure Information

Many of the providers you will see listed in this data base will have letters following their names to indicate their degree, profession and type of licensure. An example is: Jennifer Lang, MA, MSW, LSW- meaning obtained a master’s of art and master’s of social work degree and licensed as a social worker.

Below is a short list of some of the credentials you will see and what they mean:



Certified Nutritional Specialist


Doctor of Marriage and Family Therapy


Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine


Masters of Art


Masters of Arts in Professional Counseling


Doctor of Medicine


Masters of Science in Counseling


Masters of Social Work


Doctor of Philosophy


Doctor of Psychology


Registered Dietitian



Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist


Licensed professional clinical counselor and licensed professional clinical counselor with supervisory abilities.


All social worker licenses but distinguishes licensed social worker, licensed independent social worker and licensed independent social worker who has supervisory abilities.