Creating the Extraordinary Student Experience


Who can receive services at CCS?

CCS services are available to OSU students enrolled on a part-time or full-time basis or those who are covered by OSU Comprehensive Student Health Insurance.

How many sessions does it usually take?

On average, most students resolve their concerns between five and six sessions. Sessions are generally 45 minutes in length.

How long is the wait?

At times, because of demand for CCS services or student limited availability to make an appointment, there may be a wait for counselor assignment. We realize that it is often difficult for students to seek out counseling services, and having to wait can be frustrating. Please know that we make every effort to accommodate as many students as we can with a minimal wait. When there is a wait for services we will provide you with other counseling resources on and off campus. 

Do you have walk-in hours?

We do not have walk-in hours. If you feel you need to be seen immediately, try to call our office ahead of time. We do have hours set aside for urgent situations. If you do walk-in, you may be asked to wait until someone becomes available to speak with you.

How private is my information?

The information you provide to us is kept in our office. We are committed to keeping your protected identifiable information (PII) safe as indicated by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended (FERPA) and State of Ohio laws governing Counselors, Social Workers, and Marriage and Family Counselors in addition to the Ohio Psychological Association.  We require your written permission to release any information related to treatment and PII with the exceptions outlined in the State of Ohio laws.

What if I can't wait to talk to someone?

If you call to speak to a clinician and do not feel as if you can wait to be seen, the front desk will have a clinician call you back as soon as possible.

Where can I park?

There are metered parking spaces along the street in front of the Younkin Success Center at 1640 Neil Avenue. However, the meters are limited to 1 hour in length, so it may be wise to consider other modes of transportation such as bus, bike, or walking.  Several bus stops are located within one block of the Younkin Success Center.  Students taking the free Campus Area Bus System (CABS) can ride the red line, Campus Loop North (CLN) or Campus Loop South (CLS), to stop at Neil and 10th or Hamilton Hall.  Students taking the Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA) can ride the number 2 bus and stop at Chittenden or 11th Ave on High St. and walk west on 11th until you reach Neil Ave. Or take the number 7 and stop at 12th and Cancer Clinic and walk south on Neil Ave.

What happens if I stop my medication?

Certain medications can have adverse effects if you stop them abruptly. Possible symptoms may include: dizziness, nausea, headaches, sweating, and insomnia. These symptoms can usually be avoided if you work with your doctor to discontinue the medications appropriately. Also, stopping your medication could lead to reemergence of your previous symptoms.

Will my psychiatric medication interact with other medications I'm taking?

Drug interactions can occur with any medication, so always let the psychiatrist know of any medication or herbal/nutritional supplements you are taking.

Will my psychiatric medication interfere with my birth control?

Certain psychiatric medications may interfere with the effectiveness of you birth control so it is important to discuss this with your doctor. Also, some medications may be harmful to the fetus if you are, or become, pregnant. It is important, if you are thinking of becoming pregnant, to discuss this with your doctor as well.

Will I need to take this medication for the rest of my life?

The need to continue psychiatric medications is determined on a person-to-person basis. It is based on several different factors such as the type of illness, severity of illness, family history, and any previous episodes. You will meet with your psychiatrist regularly to evaluate how the medication is helping you and to address any concerns you may have.

How can I get a certification for an emotional support animal?

Emotional Support Animals and Service Animals:  We may assist with certification for emotional support animals when it is clinically necessary for established clients. Emotional support animals are not specially trained for their emotional supportive roles and are not considered service animals under the ADA ( We take these needs very seriously and complete thorough assessments through an extended treatment process. These letters may denote that an individual has a disability and the animal is used to address the disability. We will not write letters for emotional support animals for housing, travel accommodation, or course accommodations unless clinically necessary for established clients. We are happy to help you access an evaluation in the community to determine disability status and need for an ESA or Service Animal.

 Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), service animals can accompany their owners anywhere the public can go. Emotional support animals, on the other hand need advanced approval as an accommodation. Our students’ with service animals are welcome in both of our locations. We have a responsibility to ensure that our environment is safe for all students and thus all animals and handlers are subject to the University’s rules of conduct. If you have questions, would like assistance planning for a Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal on campus, need to arrange local veterinary care, or have a concern about your treatment and access when accompanied by your Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal contact The Ohio State University ADA Coordinator at, 614-292-6207. 

Please note that you will need to register with the OSU ADA coordinator’s office in order to bring your Emotional Support Animal to our offices.