Office of Student Life

Counseling and Consultation Service

Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to our most commonly asked questions. If you have questions not answered below, please contact us at 614-292-5766 or

Do you have walk-in hours?

Counseling and Consultation Service is an outpatient mental health clinic, meaning that our ongoing and urgent clinical appointments are prescheduled. If you have a time sensitive concern, you are welcome to call us, and we will return your call as soon as a clinician is available. If a situation is life threatening and you need immediate assistance, please contact OSUPD at (614) 292-2121, Wexner Medical Center at 614-293-8333 or 911.  

We do not have walk-in hours at our primary locations. If you feel you need to be seen immediately, try to call our office ahead of time. We do have hours set aside for urgent situations. If you do walk-in, you may be asked to wait until someone becomes available to speak with you.

There are several on-demand services on campus that can be matched to the level of urgency you are experiencing.

Are there costs associated with CCS services?

We generally do not charge for services. However, a student may accrue a fee associated with:

Can I get a letter of support to obtain an Emotional Support Animal (ESA)?

We may assist with certification for emotional support animals when it is clinically necessary for established clients. Emotional support animals (ESA) are not specially trained for their emotional supportive roles and are not considered service animals under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). We take these needs very seriously and complete thorough assessments through an extended treatment process. These letters may denote that an individual has a disability and the animal is used to address the disability. We will not write letters for emotional support animals for housing, travel accommodation or course accommodations unless clinically necessary for established clients. We are happy to help you access an evaluation in the community to determine disability status and need for an ESA or Service Animal. You may need to connect with Disability Services if you live on campus and have an ESA or Service Animal.  

Under the ADA, service animals can accompany their owners anywhere the public can go. Emotional support animals, on the other hand need advanced approval as an accommodation. Our students’ with service animals are welcome in both of our locations. We have a responsibility to ensure that our environment is safe for all students and thus all animals and handlers are subject to the University’s rules of conduct. If you have a concern about your treatment and access when accompanied by your Service Animal or Emotional Support Animal contact The Ohio State University ADA Coordinator at or 614-292-6207.

*Please note that you will need to register with the Ohio State ADA coordinator’s office in order to bring your Emotional Support Animal to our offices.

What do I need to know as a parent or family member if I have a student in need of mental health support?

If you have concerns and would like to discuss helpful options with your student, first familiarize yourself with the Mental Health and Well-being resources at Ohio State. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to call Student Life's Counseling and Consultation Service at 614-292-5766  and request a call back from a counselor.

For more in-depth information and tips for families and loved ones, check out our “Family and Loved Ones” page.

I am worried about a student, what can I do?

If the concern is life threatening, please contact 911, the Ohio State Police Department at 614-292-2121 or the Wexner Medical Center at 614-293-8333.

If the situation is not life threatening, being supportive and encouraging the student to contact CCS is often the best first step. CCS does not contact students who do not contact us first out of respect for their privacy and independence.

You can also recommend some of the available mental health support options available on campus. 

Who can receive services at CCS?

All students enrolled at Ohio State are eligible for services. Additionally, dependents of those students covered by the Ohio State Student Health Insurance Plan are eligible. 

How do I schedule an appointment?

In non-emergency situations, please schedule a phone screening.

If you have a time-sensitive concern, you are welcome to call us and we will return your call as soon as a clinician is available. If a situation is life threatening, please contact OSUPD at 614-292-2121, Wexner Medical Center at 614-293-8333 or 911.

Find additional resources for immediate assistance on our website. 

How long will I wait for counseling?

If you are looking to establish services with a counselor for ongoing therapy, the process may take one to several weeks. It is important to use additional resources during this process. There are a variety of options for urgent and immediate assistance, drop-in consultations and skill building workshops available daily.

What if I am 17 years old or younger?

We would be happy to speak with you regarding options for services. Please know there are limits to how much treatment we can provide without notifying a parent/guardian

As mental health professionals in the State of Ohio, we are mandated reporters for child abuse, elderly abuse or abuse to a disabled person. Visit for more information about concerns related to the endangerment/abuse of a child. 

What should I do if I am interested in medication?

Psychiatric services are available for current CCS clients. If clinically appropriate, your therapist will help you schedule with a psychiatrist. To get started, schedule a phone screening. Additionally, you may also visit Student Health Services.

What happens during a scheduled phone screening?

At your scheduled appointment time, a counselor will call you at the number provided. When we call, please be aware that our number may appear as private or unavailable. Please plan to take this call in a private space, as questions may be sensitive in nature.

The call will last about 10-15 minutes. A CCS counselor will ask questions about you and your concerns. Please be as specific as you can so the counselor will know how best to help. At the end of the call, you will receive clinical recommendations based on the concerns discussed. This will often include a combination of services and resources.

Clinical recommendations may include individual counseling on or off campus, group counseling, or referral to a physician. The counselor will recommend other mental health resources. It's best to use a combination of resources to address your concerns. The counselor will send a follow-up email summarizing your clinical recommendations. Please keep this email for reference.