Ohio State Social Work I Internship
Welcome! Thank you for your interest in Social Work Internship at Student Life’s Counseling and Consultation Service (CCS) at The Ohio State University. The MSW I placement at CCS offers a fantastic and supportive introduction to working within the University/College Counseling Center practice setting. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to me. You can contact me directly at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!
Shawn Lucas MSW, LISW-S
MSW I Internship Coordinator
Overview of the MSW I Internship
Student Life’s Counseling and Consultation Service (CCS) provides internship experiences for first year students seeking master’s degrees in the College of Social Work (CSW) Program at The Ohio State University. In alignment with the degree timeline, the CCS Internship will be offered each Spring semester. Students must have completed all prerequisite coursework as outlined by Ohio State CSW, as well as have approval by the CSW field placement office. MSW I interns are more than welcome to apply for the MSW II as placement at Ohio State CCS for MSW I is not a guarantee to progress to a MSW II placement.
What Will You Get from the Program?
- Experiences providing services and consultation for college students with diverse concerns from multicultural backgrounds (e.g., students of color, international students, LGBTQ+ students)
- Experiences in working within a multidisciplinary team
- Introduction to case management skills, clinical consultation skills and skills in coordination of care with other providers and/or campus partners
- Training on multicultural issues in therapy
Length of the MSW I Internship
MSW I interns make a commitment of approximately 16 hours per week for a minimum of 13 weeks (total of 224 hours). Approximately 5 hours per week must be in direct contact with clients including triage screenings, referral and linkage, and shadowing.
Primary Components of the MSW I Internship
- 5 hours per week providing or shadowing clinical services
- 1 hour of weekly individual supervision
- 1 hour of group supervision/didactic trainings every other week (MSW I Internship Seminar), facilitated by a licensed independent social worker (LISW-S)
- 1-2 hours of paperwork/session preparation/administration
- Orientation and “check-in” meetings with MSW I Group Cohort Supervisor as needed
- Attend Clinical Service and Disposition Committees weekly
Opportunities That Are Optional, If Available
- Observing CCS Drop-In Workshops (offered daily Monday-Friday)
- Observing CCS outreach programs presented by CCS staff and/or advanced trainees
- Weekly All-Staff meeting
- Additional Training Information
- Enrollment in The Ohio State University’s College of Social Work Master’s degree program
- Completion of all prerequisites as outlined in the Ohio State College of Social Work Master’s degree program
- Good standing within your academic program
Interested candidates, please submit the following materials by 9/29/2023 by 11:59 pm
- Letter of interest addressing your interest in the MSW I Internship, your training goals for the internship and your long-term professional goals
- 1-2 letters of recommendation
- Updated resume or vitae
Qualified candidates will be invited for an interview and will occur in the fall semester.
Send your application and direct your questions to:
Amy Young MSW, LISW-S
Assistant Director of Training
Counseling and Consultation Service
Office of Student Life
4th Floor, Younkin Success Center
1640 Neil Avenue, Columbus, OH 43201-2333
The Ohio State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.