Mental Health Support Options
College students can experience a broad variety of mental health concerns impacted by a variety of factors. As a result, it is important for students to keep in mind that there are a variety of solutions and supports available. While individual counseling, group counseling, psychiatry at our agency are good options, it is important for students to consider all of the resources available to them based on their situation/need, timeliness, and availability.
OSU Counseling and Consultation Service
- Mental Health Strategies Video Series - Counseling and Consultation Service staff present effective strategies for managing mental health. Watch the entire series, or find a video specific to your needs, and add these important skills to your mental health toolbox.
- Let's Talk - Our program of drop-in informal mental health consultations on a first-come, first served basis.
- Community Provider Database. You can screen and find providers based problem area, specialty, insurance accepted, distance from campus.
What if I need immediate assistance or if I am in crisis?
If you are in crisis, go here: https://ccs.osu.edu/about-us-and-our-services/need-immediate-assistance/
What are some other options for mental health support on campus?
Buckeye PAL: The Buckeye Peer Access Line is a non-emergency talk line that provides a space for students to engage in brief phone conversations to gain peer support and learn about campus resources.
OSU Student Wellness: They aim to help you create the life you want to live, both now and in the future by help you create strategies that leverage your strengths to create and achieve meaningful goals.
- Wellness Coaching
- Nutrition coaching
- Relationship education
- Alcohol and other drug prevention services
OSU Wilce Student Health Center has primary care providers that may be helpful in some instance with medication for mental health. They may suggest you meet with a psychiatrist for other instances.
OSU Dennis Learning Center for study skills/academic coaching.
OSU Office of Student Advocacy and OSU Office of Disability services - Offer services including support and solutions when academic performance is impacted by mental health or physical health concerns.
OSU Psychology Services center offers therapy based services for a variety of mental health conditions.
OSU Wexner Medical Center also offers a variety of psychiatry services including partial hospital programs, intensive outpatient programs, inpatient psychiatric hospitalization, and other services.
- Mind body strategies through Integrative Medicine at OSU Wexner Medical Center.
OSU College of Nursing MINDSTRONG - The College of Nursing presents MINDSTRONG, an evidence-based cognitive-behavioral skills building program with a goal of improving resiliency and self-protective factors for the overall wellbeing of students, as well as faculty and staff and their families. Their goal is to leverage consistent, evidence-based interventions to help you modify and/or develop lifestyle behaviors that improve overall mental health and physical well-being.
What about self help resources?
- You can sign up for this blog: osu.edu/emotionalfitness.
- The OSU Wellness App from the Iphone store offers easy-to-use multimedia strategies to feel better fast!
- Check out our self-help page.
What if I am not sure of what I need for mental health support?
- Consider scheduling a phone screening service through OSU Student Life Counseling and Consultation Service. This phone appointment with our providers can help you figure out services that may be best for your needs, either with us or with one of our partner offices on or off campus.
What if I need to talk to someone after hours?