Benefits to Students
- Embedded Counselors have familiarity with the culture of a college or area.
- Students have the ability to connect and consult directly.
- Tailored services for diverse student groups and increased access for marginalized populations.
- Embedded therapists are advocates for the students in their area.
- Embedded therapists have awareness of how current events affect students in their embedded site.
- Proximity and availability fitting with student schedules.
- Builds trust and reduces stigma among students enhancing a Culture of Care.
Benefits to the Stakeholders
- Embedded therapists are a visible presence and a direct liaison for consultation with faculty and staff.
- Increases access, decreases stigma, and affirms a commitment to mental health and well-being.
- Embedded therapists assess the needs of students and develop tailored programming in response.
- Embedded therapists provide feedback to stakeholders based on emerging needs of students.
- Embedded therapists reinforce mental health literacy within the embedded site and offer education around prevention and accessing mental health resources.
- Embedded therapists lend their expertise to teams they are a part of within their embedded site.
Support from Counseling and Consultation Service (CCS)
- The embedded therapist has direct access to internal services at CCS (e.g. Psychiatry, Care Management, Group Therapy).
- Direct consultation with CCS Central staff who have cultural or clinical specialties.
- The embedded therapist has access to a network of community referral options to connect students with the appropriate level of treatment to meet their needs.
- In the event an embedded therapist is unavailable, CCS Central staff provides coverage.
- In the event of a crisis, the embedded therapist has support from CCS Central staff (i.e. immediate support, crisis outreach team, multiple therapists for urgent appointments).
- Full access to centrally funded scheduling and documentation systems.
- Ongoing mentorship and professional development opportunities from a large experienced staff.