Too often we cope in ways that decrease our mood and increase our stress levels. Try these positive strategies to hack into happiness!
- Deep Breathing Exercise: Learn this deep breathing technique. It will help you feel calmer and more relaxed! Click Here to Download the MP3.
- Guided Imagery: Take a mini vacation in your mind. You can visualize going to the beach or hiking on a mountain. Where do you feel the best?
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation: All tensed up? Learn how to relax your muscles and release tension in your body.
- Mindful Moment: Slow down to fully appreciate and be present in the moment. Choose an activity and completely focus on this activity as slowly as you can while being aware of all your senses (i.e., sound, taste, smell, touch, and sight). Practice a mindful moment each day when you spend time quietly savoring something! Fully engaging in savoring food, taking a walk, looking at nature, or listening to soothing music has many beneficial effects.
- Talk to a Friend: Call a friend and let them in on what is stressing you out or getting you down. Talking to friends can make us feel cared for and can cheer us up in a hurry!
- Random Acts of Kindness: Doing for others makes us feel good! Find one unexpected, kind thing to do for someone today and do it. Be creative and have some fun with it!
- Gratitude Journal: Write three things that happened today that you’re grateful for or feel positive about.
- Exercise: Get those endorphins working for you and get moving! 30-minutes a day can change your mood fast. Need ideas? Check out OSU recreational services!
- Eat Well: Eating regularly will help you ward off mood swings. Try eating three meals a day and healthy snacks in between! Never go more than three hours without eating something.
- Get Your Z’s: Having difficulty sleeping? Check out these sleep tips for a restful night!
- Download the CCS app on your iPhone or Android device for more happiness hacks!