Prescription Drug Abuse
General Facts about Prescription Drug Abuse
- Many prescription medications are just as addicting as illicit drugs.
- The abuse of prescription and OTC medications has doubled in the last decade.
- Around 25% of drug-related emergency department admissions are due to the abuse or misuse of prescription or over-the-counter medications.
What types of prescription medications are most prone to abuse?
- Opioids - commonly used to treat pain (e.g., Oxycontin, Vicodin, Percodan, Dilaudid)
- Central nervous system depressants - commonly used to treat anxiety and sleep disorders (e.g., Valium, Xanax, Nembutal, Seconal)
- Stimulants - commonly used to treat sleep disorders (e.g., narcolepsy) and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) (e.g., Dexedrine, Adderall, Ritalin, Concerta)
Treatment facilities here in Columbus