OSU Social Work II Internship
Social Work (MSW II) Training Program
- General Information
- Tuition Waiver / Stipend
- Clinical Experience
- Multidisciplinary Training Experience
- Application Process / Contact
- Application Requirements
- Coursework Recommendations
- The Counseling and Consultation Service's 10-month Social Work internship is designed as a second field placement opportunity for MSW II students currently enrolled in The Ohio State University College of Social Work Graduate program. The internship's primary emphasis is on the provision of supervised clinical interventions with a college student population.
- This program begins on August 1, 2018, and includes three full time weeks of orientation training in August prior to the fall semester. The program includes 1-2 days of training following the end of fall semester or prior to the beginning of spring semester. Interns also participate in providing some clinical coverage over academic breaks. The overall emphasis of the experience will be advanced clinical training.
- CCS is a department within the Office of Student Life, with a mission of providing counseling and mental health services to The Ohio State University Campus. CCS is housed on the fourth floor of the Younkin Success Center as well as the 10th floor of Lincoln Tower. The CCS staff includes senior staff (clinical counselors, psychologists, psychiatrists, and social workers), social work interns, psychiatric residents, psychology interns, counseling interns, clinical fellows, practicum students, and administrative staff. Interns are considered an integral part of the staff and are included in all functions of the agency. The CCS staff employs an energetic, innovative, and multicultural group of professionals who sustain the high level of activity necessary to meet the demands of a large university. Clinical service and training are given high priorities, with room for staff members to pursue projects of particular interest to them.
- The persons selected will contract for a 24-hour week throughout the 10-month training program, beginning August 1, 2018. These positions are funded as half-time graduate assistantships, which provide a tuition waiverand a monthly stipend. CCS has three social work internship positions available for the 2018-2019 training year.
- The internship involves supervised direct service of individual counseling, group therapy, workshops, consultation, and outreach activities. Interns participate in orientation, staff meetings, and agency committees.
- The program is designed to meet the needs of second-year students seeking intense supervised training in clinical work with college students with diverse concerns from multicultural backgrounds.
- Preferences will be given to candidates who have a desire for a clinical career path and want the challenges and rewards of a rigorous clinical placement. Some clinical experience is preferred, as the candidate will begin providing clinical services after a three week orientation process.
- We are dedicated to training social workers preparing for mental health careers and view training as an essential component of CCS. We have a multidisciplinary training group of social work interns, psychology interns, counseling interns, clinical fellows, psychiatric residents, and practicum students. Interns have an excellent opportunity to learn about the practice of therapy, as well as the importance of the clinician's understanding of the use of self in the therapy process.
The Social Work Intern Selection Committee adheres to the following selection process:
- The committee will review all completed applications submitted by the deadline date: Feburary 16, 2018
- A selected group of candidates will be contacted for an in-person interview.
- The three candidates selected for the internship will be contacted by phone. All other applicants will receive a letter of appreciation from the intern selection committee.
Attend an Information Session! – CCS, Lincoln Tower 10th Floor
- January 29th 4:00-5:00pm
- January 30th 9:00-10:00am
- February 2nd 12:00-1:00pm
Send application to, or for further questions, contact:
Sandra Facemire, MSW, LISW
Senior Staff Clinical Therapist
Social Work Coordinator
Lincoln Tower, 10th Floor, Building 271
1800 Cannon Dr., Columbus, OH 43210
614-292-5766 Office / 614-688-3440 Fax
Completed applications should include the following:
2.Three Professional Statements (250-500 per statement), including:
- Statement of expectations for traineeship
- Statement of longer range personal and professional goals
- Statement of applied professional experiences, including settings, supervisors, and related course work
3.Two Letters of recommendation from:
- A person familiar with candidate’s social work identity
- A person familiar with candidate’s applied performance
4."Degree audit/Advising Report" from Buckeyelink
In addition to consideration of previous clinical experience, it is strongly recommended that applicants have completed at least 2-3 of the following Social Work courses prior to the beginning of internship:
- SWK 7510 – Strengths-based Clinical SW with Individual Adults
- SWK 7512 – Clinical SW Practice with Couples & Families
- SWK 7513 – Clinical SW with Groups
- SWK 7516 – Assessment and Diagnosis in Social Work Practice
- SWK 7518 – Advanced Case Management
- SWK 7519 –Motivational Interviewing
- SWK 7521 – Evidence-based Substance Abuse Treatment